Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Definition of Happiness

Let's pretend I am a shrink for all of about 2 minutes.  This profession truly enjoys using word association games which are pretty easy....or at least it seems to be a simple task for the patient.  They basically give you a word, and you say the first thing that comes to mind.  For example, he/she may say dog.  You say cat.  Very simple.

Here we go:  I say happiness, and you say....Money?  Family?  Friends?  Impossible?

Reality = happiness for me.  Debby Doss (a strong, amazing woman and my ex-mother-in-law) once gave me the best advice I have ever received.  She said, "You can't be happy with anyone else until you are happy with yourself."  THAT is the  REALITY of HAPPINESS!  I am a realist, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.  There have been numerous times when I have wished to be more like my mother and be able to sprinkle sunshine every place I go.  Positive vibes ooze from her every pore, and that is why I think she is an earthly angel.  BUT God created me differently, and I embrace my differences.

Am I full of happiness all the time?  Nope, but I am happy and extremely blessed.  I'm sure I looked like something that crawled out of Dante's Inferno for quite a few years due to a few rough roads I traveled.  BUT now I have so many people telling me how happy I look....well, that just makes me grin from ear to ear!  The reality is that I found happiness within myself, and I share it with my wonderful husband and kids! 

How do you find happiness within yourself?  Dig, baby, dig!  Here are a few of my guidelines:
1.  God must be the foundation - NO EXCEPTIONS!
2.  Don't take anyone you love for granted
3.  Pick your battles
4.  Love your kids, spouse, family, and friends unconditionally
5.  Take risks
6.  Have no regrets

Now, how are YOU going to apply this to your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment