Thursday, May 12, 2011

Vernacular

An elementary teacher friend of mine sent out an email asking for our favorite word for her class project.  Believe it or not, I really struggled with this assignment.  My favorite word?  I usually have 3 - 4 books going at one time, so choosing one word for my favorite is like trying to choose a favorite snowflake.

Personally, my most beloved word is faith.  I adore this word so much that I even had it tattooed on the inside of my left wrist.  Of course, my friend and I teach in a public school, so I have to leave God out of the equation.  BOO!!!  We will save this topic for another day....

Vernacular.  My favorite (noncontroversial) word is vernacular.  It is a cool word for "slang," and I enjoy it because every language on earth has its own vernacular.  Spanish has numerous dialects throughout the world...just depends on which country you happen to call home for the day. 

Dante Aligheri is the perfect example for the explanation of this amazing word.  Dante wrote The Divine Comedy (which includes the famous Inferno), and in turn basically created the beautiful Italian language spoken today in the elegant country of Italy.  During Dante's time, numerous dialects were spoken in Italy, and it was extremely difficult for the multitude of areas to communicate.  So, instead of writing in Latin and following the road of all the other writers, he jumped outside the box and created the Italian language in the process.  I LOVE Dante!!!  What a genius!!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment